Subject leader: Mr B Blount
At Holme upon Spalding Moor, our vision is to create a ‘love of language’. Our chosen modern foreign language is French. Children are encouraged to develop an understanding of the world in which we live by having the opportunity to develop their French language skills as well as learn about French culture and traditions. A structured approach to learning French ensures the children can build and consolidate their language skills and use this when new topics are introduced.
In order to achieve our aims, we will:
- use our Rising Stars lessons to revisit previous learning; allowing pupils the opportunity to apply previously taught skills and knowledge.
- develop a strong focus on pronunciation and phonics also allows pupils to improve their spoken French.
- ensure teaching and learning is practical and based on speaking and listening with written work to reinforce only when needed.
- provide a curriculum which has an appropriate balance of spoken and written language and lay the foundations for further foreign language teaching at key stage 3.
- enable pupils to understand and communicate ideas, facts and feelings in speech and writing, focused on familiar and routine matters, using their knowledge of phonology, grammatical structures and vocabulary.
- Children have a passion for French and are excited to learn the language
- Children will become aware that language has a structure and that structure differs from one language to another.
- Children will develop their language and communication through development of the four key skills of speaking and listening, reading and writing.
- Children will enrich their language learning by developing an understanding of French culture.